Cauliflower Steak, Egg & Chips on a Marinara Sauce (Serves 2)
(Vegetarian/Vegan without the egg)
Timings: (Total 50 mins | Prep 15 mins
Cauliflower steak is a great plant-based alternative to a filet, sirloin or rib-eye, making it a really hearty and satisfying meal.
Ingredients: Cauliflower steak, egg & chips
- 1 cauliflower, cut into 2-3cm thick slices
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 500g Maris Piper potatoes
- 1-2 TSP MALDON SALT
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
Ingredients: Marinara Sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 5 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ TSP MALDON SALT
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 75ml white wine
- To make the marinara sauce, heat the oil in a pan on medium heat, add onions and garlic, cook for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add all the other sauce ingredients, bring to the boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Puree with a hand blender or in a food processor.
- Heat the oven to 200° / fan 180° / gas mark 6 and heat a frying pan over high heat. Rub the cauliflower steaks with a tbsp of oil and season on each side, add to the pan and char for 2 minutes on each side. Apply some pressure to the steaks with a spatula to give them a real char effect. Once charred, gently place the steaks on to a roasting tray and roast for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-2 cm thick chips and swish around in a bowl of cold water to remove some starch, then drain. Cook the chips in a pan of boiling salted water for 7-8 minutes, then drain. Toss the chips in the colander to rough up the edges, so they look rustic once cooked. Allow to cool. Fill a pan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat to 180°. Add the chips in batches and fry for 4-6 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and sprinkle with MALDON SALT to your taste.
- For the poached egg, bring a pan of water to a simmer and add a drop of white wine vinegar. Crack your egg into a bowl, stir the simmering water to make a whirlpool, then slowly tip the egg into the centre. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the egg white is set. Lift the egg out with a slotted spoon and trim off any loose ends. Repeat for the second egg (or do two eggs at once).
- Spread the marinara sauce on the plate, top with the cauliflower steak, chips and carefully lay the poached egg on top of the steak. Season with MALDON SALT and cracked pepper.
Meet the newest addition to the Maldon range. The same premium quality salt flakes loved by chefs the world over, with the convenience of a re-sealable tub in a size to suit smaller kitchens. It’s the perfect fit for busy street food operators, deli’s and high street cafes.
Be sure to take a look at the rest of our recipes and see our premium sea salt flakes in action, in some of these stunning street food recipes created by Chef Rob Rooke.
Back to the recipes