Jackfruit Sliders (makes 10-12)
(Vegetarian / Vegan)
Timings: total 45 mins | prep. 15 mins
Jackfruit is a fantastic meat substitute and is now readily available tinned in major supermarkets. Once cooked, it can be pulled apart like slow-cooked pork or beef. The great benefit of jackfruit is that it soaks up the BBQ sauce, giving it that sweet BBQ flavour.
Ingredients: BBQ sauce (makes approx. 500ml)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 TSP MALDON SALT
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- (Optional) 1 tbsp hot sauce/Sriracha
- 150ml tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 400g tinned plum tomatoes
- 2 x young jackfruit / green jackfruit
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 small burger/slider buns
- ½ red cabbage, shredded
- ½ white cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 x carrots, grated
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Coriander/cilantro, small handful, chopped
- 1 TSP MALDON SALT
- In a pan over medium heat, fry the onion in oil for a few minutes until translucent. Add the garlic, cumin, paprika and fry for a minute more until you smell the aroma. Add all the remaining ingredients to the pan, breaking up the plum tomatoes with a fork, and stir the sauce. Reduce the heat to low and simmer (covered) for 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool and blend in a food processor until sauce is smooth.
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix all vinaigrette ingredients and toss in together with the slaw.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit.
- Over a high heat, for the jackfruit in oil for 5-10 minutes, or until charred on each side.
- Using a fork (or potato masher), press down on the jackfruit until it naturally pulls apart. Shred the large pieces with a fork until it resembles pulled pork.
- Stir in half the BBQ sauce and cook for a further 5 minutes. All the shredded jackfruit should now be covered and ready to serve.
- Halve the burger/slider buns and spread on your desired sauce(s). Pile on the BBQ jackfruit, top with the remaining sauce and the slaw.
Meet the newest addition to the Maldon range. The same premium quality salt flakes loved by chefs the world over, with the convenience of a re-sealable tub in a size to suit smaller kitchens. It’s the perfect fit for busy street food operators, deli’s and high street cafes.
Be sure to take a look at the rest of our recipes and see our premium sea salt flakes in action, in some of these stunning street food recipes created by Chef Rob Rooke.
Back to the recipes